Seeing Is Believing® training is automatically included as a component of Steps Towards Effective Enjoyable Parenting™ (STEEP) training. Seeing Is Believing is also available as a free-standing training for individuals or organizations interested in integrating the video strategy into home visiting models other than STEEP.
Through video-recording and guided viewing, Seeing is Believing® gives parents a chance to see, from the camera’s point of view, what happens between them and their baby. Through a process of open-ended questioning, parents learn to:
- interpret their baby’s cues;
- recognize their own strengths in meeting their baby’s needs;
- and see through their baby’s eyes.
Seeing is Believing was originally developed in 1986 as a core strategy within the STEEP program. The strategy also has been adopted within many other home visiting and center-based programs for parents and infants.
What to expect
This training typically is offered as a 1- or 2-day initial session, with a follow-up 1-day consultation about 3 months later, built around videos and case material provided by participants.
The curriculum includes:
- Observing parent-infant interaction through the lens of attachment theory and research.
- Introducing to parents the idea of using video as a way to learn and discover how to support their baby’s development.
- Setting up a video session attuned to the baby’s state and parent’s readiness.
- Reviewing the video with the parent, using open-ended questions to help the parent interpret infant cues, recognize their own strengths, and address areas of challenge.
- Using parent-infant videos in reflective supervision or consultation.
Who should attend
- Social workers
- Health care professionals
- Mental health professionals
- Other frontline professionals who would like to learn best practices for working with parents and very young children
Register for a scheduled training
There are no trainings scheduled at this time.
Request a training for your group
We can customize any of our trainings for your site and audience. Get in touch and we’ll work together to develop a training that’s right for you.