(Previous title: Parent-Infant Pathways: An Educator’s Guide to Providing Information and Support to New Parents)
- Register for Spring 2019 (February 25 to April 29, 2019). Register by February 18.
Learn how to best communicate with new parents and equip them with the information they need to support healthy development.
What to expect
- Gain training in early infant development, parent education, and parent-infant relationships.
- Prepare to help parents identify their infant’s communication cues and capabilities.
- Learn how to empower parents and demonstrate support.
- Learn how to best address parents’ questions, thoughts, and concerns.
Who should register
- Early educators
- Early interventionists
- Parent educators
- Social workers
- Allied health professionals
- Other professionals would like to better understand early infant development, parent education, and parent-infant relationships
This online course is approved by the Minnesota Center for Professional Development to count toward career lattice steps. It also is approved by the International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) for their members (ICEA accepts a maximum of 24 clock hours per course).
Meet the instructor
Renee Torbenson, B.S., M.A., is a licensed parent educator, lactation educator, and certified infant massage instructor. Torbenson holds a B.S. from the University of Minnesota and an M.A. in early childhood education from Concordia University, St. Paul. Torbenson has been an educator for more than 35 years, including 25 years in the Minneapolis Early Childhood Education program as a parent educator and infant specialist. Torbenson was instrumental in beginning a collaboration with North Memorial Hospital, where she has implemented the Parent-Infant Pathways curriculum for the past 15 years in her work as a family educator.
- Earn 84 clock hours
- Through Summer 2018 session: $790 registration fee plus required textbook
- Beginning Spring 2019 session: $870 registration fee plus required textbook
Pearson, J. (2016). Pathways to positive parenting: Helping parents nurture healthy development in the earliest month. Zero to Three.
- Cancellation before Day 1 of the session: Full refund less $35 administrative fee
- Cancellation Day 1 Week 1 through Day 1 Week 2: 75% refund
- Cancellation Day 2 Week 2 forward: No refund will be provided.