(Previous title: Parent-Infant Pathways: An Educator’s Guide to Providing Information and Support to New Parents)
Learn how to best communicate with new parents and equip them with the information they need to support healthy development.
Earn 84 clock hours
Cost: $870 registration fee plus required textbook
Early bird rate of $795 if you register for spring session by December 15.
- Spring 2019 (February 25 to April 29, 2019). Register by February 18. Early bird rate of $795 if you register by December 15 for spring session only.
- Gain training in early infant development, parent education, and parent-infant relationships.
- Prepare to help parents identify their infant’s communication cues and capabilities.
- Learn how to empower parents and demonstrate support.
- Learn how to best address parents’ questions, thoughts, and concerns.
Who should register
- Early educators
- Early interventionists
- Parent educators
- Social workers
- Allied health professionals
- Other professionals would like to better understand early infant development, parent education, and parent-infant relationships
This online course is approved by the Minnesota Center for Professional Development to count toward career lattice steps. It also is approved by the International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) for their members (ICEA accepts a maximum of 24 clock hours per course).
What to expect
- The course is instructor-led with feedback and interactions provided.
- All activities and assignments for this course are asynchronous and online. Nothing takes place in real time.
- You have access to the course site 24/7 and can fit your work on the course into your schedule.
- Activities and assignments include readings, videos, discussion board, recording videos using an online tool called FlipGrid, and reflection papers.
- You are expected to participate fully and abide by weekly submission due dates for assignments and activities.
Knowledge and competency framework areas
- Child development and learning
- Creating positive learning experiences
- Promoting social and emotional development
- Relationships with families
- Observing, recording, and assessing development
- Establishing healthy practices
Meet the instructor
Renee Torbenson, B.S., M.A., is a licensed parent educator, lactation educator, and certified infant massage instructor. Torbenson holds a B.S. from the University of Minnesota and an M.A. in early childhood education from Concordia University, St. Paul. Torbenson has been an educator for more than 35 years, including 25 years in the Minneapolis Early Childhood Education program as a parent educator and infant specialist. Torbenson was instrumental in beginning a collaboration with North Memorial Hospital, where she has implemented the Parent-Infant Pathways curriculum for the past 15 years in her work as a family educator.
Pearson, J. (2016). Pathways to positive parenting: Helping parents nurture healthy development in the earliest month. Zero to Three.
- Cancellation before Day 1 of the session: Full refund less $35 administrative fee
- Cancellation Day 1 Week 1 through Day 1 Week 2: 75% refund less $35 administrative fee
- Cancellation Day 2 Week 2 forward: No refund will be provided.
To cancel, send an email to Karen Anderson at email@example.com.
CEED reserves the right to refuse/cancel a registration due to low enrollment, a prerequisite not completed, or other circumstances making the registration nonviable. In the event of a course cancellation, registrants have the option to receive a full refund OR to transfer the registration to the same course held in a future session. CEED will accept substitutions for attendees.