- Register for Spring 2019 (February 4 to April 8, 2019). Register by January 28.
Strong relationships set the stage for healthy development. In this course, examine childhood mental health principles and learn strategies for working with parents of young children.
Note: Take this course as a stand-alone course or apply it to the Supporting Early Social and Emotional Development Credential.
What to expect
- Learn how early childhood mental health research informs work with parents with mental illness, chemical dependency, trauma, cognitive delays, and those who face other adversities.
- Gain an understanding of attachment patterns and how they affect work with parents.
- Explore the needs of parents at different stages.
- Learn how culture and environmental factors impact relationships and childrearing practices.
- Review self-reflection strategies that will help you identify the needs of individual families.
Who should register
- Professionals working with young children
- Parents of young children
This online course is approved by the Minnesota Center for Professional Development to count toward career lattice steps.
Meet the instructor
Angela Klinefelter, M.S., is a licensed teacher of parents and children. She has a master’s degree in child and family studies and marriage and family therapy. She currently works as a parent educator and home visitor for the St. Cloud School District Early Childhood Family Education Program. She has 20 years of experience working with children and families. Klinefelter has specialized in the area of social-emotional development of young child and the enhancement of parent-child relationships.
- Earn 84 clock hours
- Through Summer 2018 session: $790 registration fee plus required textbook
- Beginning Spring 2019 session: $870 registration fee plus required textbook
Textbook: Zeanah, C. (2009). Handbook of Infant Mental Health (3rd Edition). New York: The Guilford Press.
Note: You will need to rent a video online for one of the module activities. The rental price is currently around $2.99 and is subject to change.
- Cancellation before Day 1 of the session: Full refund less $35 administrative fee
- Cancellation Day 1 Week 1 through Day 1 Week 2: 75% refund
- Cancellation Day 2 Week 2 forward: No refund will be provided.